Sunday, September 3, 2017

A large intrusion!


I find it hard to resist a visit to Art Gallery WA at least once a month to soak up a little artistic energy :) Looking for weekend reflections the intrusion into the background of the rather sombre 'Christ evicting the money changers' painted in 1921 by English artist Stanley Spencer, of French-American sculptor/artist Niki de Saint Phalles's 'Black Beauty' made me smile. Wearing her 1960's dress with matching handbag and shoes she represents a 'proud modern woman who also looks like an ancient goddess with her exaggerated shape and small head'. I think she is fabulous and that we are very lucky to have her residing permanently in our art gallery. Niki de Saint Phalles art, see more here, hasn't always been appreciated but as is often the case, has become more popular after her passing! Happy Sunday, take care and stay safe...


23 comments:

  1. Love Black Beauty! Thanks for your lovely note that you posted earlier. I managed to find a theme day post. . .moving right along!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is amusing that her reflection is in that painting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love seeing Black Beauty's reflection in the painting on the wall, she's quite the dominant presence.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Comments are disappearing!!! Seems my emails as well!!
    I love art galleries but not mad about modern 'stuff'.
    I sent the email 29th Aug, but the ending you have given me seemed odd, .com.au I thought it was just .au On the other hand it has not bounced!!!
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. A wonderful way to capture a reflection.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is funny how things grow on the general public over time. There are many examples that come to mind, but one many Australians might remember is the painting Blue Poles.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Black Beauty is fabulous! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another one of those American tourists, loudly dressed, who comes barging into everything.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha! That is a great reflection! Good eye Grace.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Neat reflection (well seen!) and I find this kind of art very attractive.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That proud lady looks perfect sneaking into the sombre scene. This looks like a really great museum. I think you'd find me there wandering around too if I was in your part of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Niki always makes me smile too. I love her works, everything so big magnified makes it a joy to look at!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That´s truly a wonderful reflection, Grace, you made me smile big :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Black Beauty is indeed a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's a large intrusion, all right!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love her works, everything so big magnified makes it a joy to look at!


    ดูหนังผี

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Guys this is very wonderful site.I am very likely to this site.i have more information from this site thanks for sharing
    ดูหนังใหม่

    ReplyDelete