Monday, July 14, 2014

The 'Skwibby' cow!



There's a week left of school hols here in Australia and lots to do and see in the city. Yesterday we (my sister, Aimee and myself) caught the train and went with my nephew (6), niece (3) and their mum to have some fun.. show you more tomorrow. There was a particular mural I was after for today but I got a little side tracked by the 'Books Moove Me Cow' in the State Library.. does she qualify for Monday Murals?


The Society of Children's Book Writers & Illustrators (SCBWI pronounced Skwibby) cow was designed and painted (details of artists on both sides here) for the Margaret River Cow Parade in 2010 but has since been put out to pasture :) in the State Library much to the joy of all who meet her, including moi. I see an illustration there (above bottom left) by one of my favourite artist/writers Wendy Binks.. 'Stripey & the Book Bridge'.. fabulous! It's hard to imagine a world without books and libraries, quelle horreur let's hope that never happens. Happy Monday, take care..


30 comments:

  1. So you've met Moo. Yes, SCWBI West's members do lots of activities in the Library.
    I recently attended 'Dueling Illustrators' and a masterclass with Alison Lester there.
    Good post, Gracie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love these!! Particularly Moo!! What a fun outing for all of you!! Can't imagine what we'd do without libraries!!! Such a fun, colorful post for the day, Grace!! Have a great new week!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That qualifies as a great mural, Grace!
    I was down to the Outdoor Art show several times as I knew a lot of people who were exhibiting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful work on this cow, Grace! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice cow. I wonder how long it took to do all the art.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We had painted cows when I first moved to the town I blog from. Unfortunately I didn't photograph them. Certainly brighten up any area.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We had nothing like that when I was discovering libraries - just books and an old woman who went Ssshhhh! every few minutes. Actually she was a silly cow too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Clearly, you were having much too much fun. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a real standout cow, Grace!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an adorable cow 'mural' - I saw a very similar one at a cheese factory on the Atherton Tablelands, I must find the photo.
    -grin- this cow of a thing is sure to be a hit with the littlies and biggies alike!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The cow is fun. Libraries aren't doing a good job of re-inventing themselves and staying relevant as hard copy books are in decline.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fun cow. I like the illustration.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This moooooves me!



    ALOHA from Honolulu
    ComfortSpiral
    =^..^= <3

    ReplyDelete
  14. Skwibby Cow definitely qualifies as a mural Grace. A bright and cheery start to the week.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes, a world without books or libraries is hard to imagine!
    I love the cow. I still remember taking lots of pictures of all the cows around Margaret River in 2010, I didn't have a blog then...

    ReplyDelete
  16. De muurschilderingen zijn prachtig maar de koe die spant de kroon.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is very cute. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those painted cows are too cute! Reminds me of our Buddy Bears in Berlin. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love these cows, I have seen them in Birmingham. Very colourful and great reflections. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just LOVE these images with bright and happy colours.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Have I mentioned before that the organization that puts on Cow Parades around the world is located in West Hartford? We had ours in West Hartford in 2003 and 2007, and the City of Hartford is going to launch a Cow Parade next month as part of the City's 250 year anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Why are cows so lovable?! Because they don't complain when we make sport of their images!? These are so cool.

    ReplyDelete