Friday, April 29, 2011

Rottnest

Rottnest Island, (www.rottnestisland.com) otherwise known as 'Perth's favourite island playground', not in the same way as perhaps the Greek Islands are the playground for the jet set, but more in the way that it's a great place for families with young children, as you can see,  families go over with their bikes, surfboards and I even saw quite a few carrying their own pillows (I might do that too).  Rottnest was named by a Dutch explorer in 1696 when he saw the many Quokkas (see above link, it will explain everything) and thought they were rats.There are a number of shipwrecks off Rottnest which makes it a very popular destination for divers. The main way to get to Rottnest is the ferry (www.rottnestexpress.com.au) which leaves from Hillary's Marina and also from Fremantle (another post), I can say from personal experience it's not much fun if the swell is up and it's choppy, that was a few years ago and I still remember it well.

4 comments:

  1. Great shot! I remember that trip... Horrible if the weather is choppy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the water and boats but do not like being confined in a rough chop. I am looking forward to more about this Rottnest.

    Bon weekend, mon amie!
    Genie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I spent a day on Rottnest island a few years ago with my husband and daugther. We rented bikes, rode around the island and had the time of our lives. It was FANTASTIC !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its an unbelievable delight examining your post.Its overflowing with information I am looking for and I need to post a comment that "The substance of your post is radiant" Great work.The official Celebrity birthdays Android app features all of today's popular celebrities including actors, singers, and social media stars.

    ReplyDelete